Thursday 18 July 2019

Interview with filmmaker Верёвкина Наталья

Who Is The Next, Dreamers? will be screening at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
Once upon a time, in early adolescence, I wanted to become an actress. I had a talent, I was preparing a lot, but it did not work out. And I went to study directing. I was going through. I burned the master that I'm not the director. I'm an actress. She said then: wait, the director is an age profession. You will come to this. And by the time I was 40, I came to understand that I needed it. This is my calling.

*What inspired you to make your movie?
When I was 39 years old, my father passed away. Suddenly. He did not have much time to dream about. And I decided to make a movie about what you need to go to your dream now, and not later. Whatever it takes.

*How has your style evolved?
Since 2011, I was engaged in video shooting of commercials and corporate clips. I graduated from a literary institute. First, my friend and I shot a short film based on her story. Funny. Then I shot another short film for another director. And I decided to withdraw my story. We worked on the script for a long time with Tatyana Kalinnikova, copied, complicated and turned out to be a full meter. Filmed on their own without a budget. A lot of people helped us. Thank them for that. We worked on the film for 2.5 years.


*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
There were many stories on each stage. For example, when we were shooting a scene of leaving the hall, it was overcast. I said I need the sun. Igor Petrov - the main character - asked how long the sun is needed? I said after 20 minutes. He said the sun will come. And after 20 minutes the sky cleared and the sun came out. We took off the general plan and it started to rain. It was already impossible to remove the asphalt - it was wet. And we shot only close-ups. Everything turned out as conceived. And on the expedition to the city of Volsk, they also promised heavy rains and we hurried to shoot all the scenes on location. The rain has been dragging for another day, and more. And as soon as we shot the last scene, it started to rain. That's how it all happened all the time. Everything worked out. It seemed to me that God wanted me to make my film.

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
I think these are new opportunities for beginning authors. Thanks to the festival, the authors will be able to meet with their audience.

*What can we expect from your next film?
I am writing a script about a modern guy who has no values. And who, having heard the story of his grandfather about a war hero - a pilot who saved his life, changes and becomes a hero.