Monday 15 July 2019

Interview with filmmaker Cristobal Santana

Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival will be screening The Night Of The Living Dead 2


How did you get into making films?
I have always wanted to do movies, I became director of my own script because no one believed in him and I did, I wanted to be a scriptwriter and producer but the decision was clear when the opportunity presented itself.


What inspired you to make your movie?
I wanted my first movie to be a commercial product that let me know, it was not at all clear what I wanted to do so I said (I'm going to do a sequel to a well-known film) The options were limited by rights issues until it appeared In my memory Romero's classic, making a sequel / prequel to that movie was a mental challenge because I did not know how to continue that story after so much time, I chose to make it as a fake documentary because it was cheaper and the closest way to that the public lived a new experience watching a movie of night of the living dead.


How has your style evolved?
From then until now I see different ways of how to make films about how to tell a story, making horror movies is not easy especially independently so you have to focus on creating a good story, the evolution of a kite is in the form of As he tells his story, when I made this movie I saw this way of telling it and filming it, now I focus even more on the characters in their evolution in the story every movie is different and has its way of seeing itself.


Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
Ufff we have resorted to several situations one of them was the last day of filming the extras were made up of zombies and characterized but we could not shoot the scene because it was still day and we waited for it to be done at night, when we were going to shoot the scenes I turn around and can not find anyone from the cast on the set and ask one of my best friends who was there that night, where is everyone? He answered me:
they are outside waiting for a bus to pass to scare him, I go outside and I find the actors positioned in a corner and it was very late and a bus appeared, I remember seeing the driver pass by as if he saw nothing every day and greet them with your hand.


The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
It reminds us that the independent cinema is there and is alive, has its public and has more acceptance every year, I think this festival is the best there is for both new and not so new generations to make known their work that does not fall he forgot


What can we expect from your next film?
In my next film The Disappearance of Audry set aside the terror to focus on a mystery story with supernatural touches, I love this type of cinema and everything that surrounds you start by presenting characters and a situation and see how it is evolving and reality and the supernatural is intermingling, it was a great experience.