Tuesday 23 July 2019

Interview with filmmaker JUAN FRANCISCO OTAÑO

Rebobinado will be screening at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
When I was a child I was always attracted to storytelling, listening to story's in a camp bonfire, there is something about the story's and the fire, the light, something ancestral of the human being. I grow up viewing films and series of 80s 90s, comedy and adventure moves are the best for me. I remember that in my English class we had a class book for learning that had a comic inside with a story. When I had to read it in class y made the character voices and the sounds, mi class mates love it, then I realized the power of story telling. In my teenage years a TV series came out in Argentina “los simuladores” I guess one of the best series ever. I understood that I can make something like that in Argentina. Later I studied filmmaking in the University of Buenos Aires.  

*What inspired you to make your movie?
The idea that inspire me to do the movie was, that something that you made in the past wrong like don’t made a goal in the football match or don’t kiss the girl you liked for being coward do you have a second chance, like in a video game that you do a save and load. My personal life made of inspiration for the character, my Love failures and the 30 years old crisis. I want a protagonist bound to the past that is stubborn and naif, that don´t stop of making mistakes to learn and overcome his failures

*How has your style evolved?
My style is eclectic, I like filmmakers like Kurosawa, Spielberg, Guillermo Del Toro, and Sergio Leone. But also like the dynamic of the videoclips and series I was strongly inspired in 80 y 90s movies and series. Malcolm In The Middle, Sabrina the teenage witch, Parker Lewis, Bill and Ted, 3 o clock high, Ground hog day, Indiana Jones, But also Pan´s Labyrinth, The good the bad and the ugly and 7 Samurais. My style y called “ninja” it´s to do the things with the things you can get. In Argentina we have a phrase about this “tie it with wire”, its like do it with you have

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
 Well, my department was a deposit for the film equipment and also one of the most important locations of the movie (the protagonist apartment). The department was very small and uncomfortable for shooting. My neighbour was a crazy old woman that didn’t like at all that we shoot there. The first day of shooting of the movie she made a hassle with the administrator of the building, I heard she talking in the hall of the building and I ran. We have a very angry discussion

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
I read the Pink8 manifesto and I like it, But its not my style to film a move. I really love to see a movie film using that manifiesto. I think there are and interest point there, the idea of don’t want to please the mainstream its very important. In Argentina there is a great cultural movement of this kind of movies, there is a festival called “Buenos Aires Rojo Sangre” that join the filmmakers of a different kind of movies (not mainstream), independent movies and genre movies with viewers of this movies. This year this festival celebrates 20 years. The concept of don’t depend on big companies to do movies is GREAT

*What can we expect from your next film?
Mi next movie is going to be a fantastic film. I have several projects. One is about Tango in the 40s in Buenos Aires, Knife, treason, love and death. The other one is about a City without trees and then some children found the last trees. Its more family movie more like “Goonies”