Wednesday 17 July 2019

Interview with filmmaker Raffaele Passerini

The Prince of Ostia Bronx will be screening at Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
I started very late in my life, I was 29, I won a scholarship to study Filmmaking in the US.


*What inspired you to make your movie?
I have always been a storyteller, or I needed to try to be one, at least. Initially as a painter, then as an actor and a singer, and finally as a director. Making movies contains all the arts and all the communication tools together. Seeing on screen something that did not exist before, even when it’s a documentary, and seeing that that storytelling resonates with people’s heart, as much as it resonated with mine, it gives me an extreme joy. I just wanted to keep that joy going, despite the medium.


*How has your style evolved?
In the eternal conflict between my witty, gypsy, drunk, punk, bulimic soul, and my stiff, bourgeois, organized, unintelligent, conservative and ambitious mind.


*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
You see most of the stories that happened behind the scenes, directly on screen. It’s a movie about the making of a movie, where life entered the screen and went back to life through the eyes of the audience.


*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
With this festival, we are meeting our people. And that’s very cool. I don’t embrace movements, but I fall in love with the people that embrace them. I envy their passion and conviction.


*What can we expect from your next film?
Joy, fear, disaster, success, failure, sex, excitement, and a chase. It’s a psychological thriller.