Thursday 18 July 2019

Interview with filmmaker Spiros Michalopoulos

Luna Bar will be screening at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
I wanted to be a chemical engineer, but I mixed natrium with potassium and before the explosion I decided to give up... Making movies was more lazy. Ha, ha! To answer seriously to that question, making films is the way of making life bearable.

*What inspired you to make your movie?
I was out of work at the time and I had nothing to do. As I was walking on the beach with my partner at the time, she suggested, “why don’t we make a movie, with no money at all? Just for the fun of making a film.” That’s how it started.

*How has your style evolved?
Style? Is there style? It's like learning a language. Each time you have to find a way to talk and communicate.

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
I had to persuade everyone who got involved to the project to participate in it. It wasn’t easy. There were many times that I lost faith. So, there we got at the first day of shooting. I was very anxious. Everything seemed to be fine. We finished on time. Everyone seemed happy. Until I realised at the end of the day, that, the whole time, the camera wasn’t recording…!!!

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
Come again???

*What can we expect from your next film?
The Absolute Nothing. The Essence of the Void