Wednesday 17 July 2019

Interview with filmmaker Lorenzo Bussone

Incubo will be screening at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
At the end of my final year in school all of my friends were going on vacation. I hate school and so I thought “that’s the first summer in my life without any bullshit homework, I must think about my future and do what I really want”. I love movies and so I decided to make one, with just an idea of a penis-gun loaded with cigarettes.

*What inspired you to make your movie?
All of Jodorowsky-related stuff, not only the movies. Then psychoanalysis and most importantly that time of my life I was experiencing: when everything is ahead of you and everything is possible. Also the fact most people let the world change them, not knowing they can change themselves too.

*How has your style evolved?
This is my first movie so I can’t talk about evolution yet. Anyway, this ended up being a very fast-moving film for my taste, something I was not considering during shooting the scenes. I want to try making my next work more slow and thoughtful if possible, because it’s a kind of style i enjoy particularly.

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
In the very last shot of the third act, the camera moves from Jack and Judy in the bed to a close up of the alien speaking the reverse monologue. I forgot to shot it and Judy (Rebecca) had already gone home, so because we had similar hair from behind I did her part. Luckily, the sequence is so short you don’t have the time to realize it; still, if you pause at the right time, you can clearly see Judy is not that tall.

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
For me manifestos are made for people to follow ideas which are not their own. And I don’t think people should. Anyway I appreciate the punk and DIY attitude: after you've made a  whole film all of your own, only then you can pretend to be a director and tell others what to do. They’re a good starting point for wannabe filmmakers.

*What can we expect from your next film?
It’s gonna explore different themes, such as: loneliness, social media, virtual reality, and the different nature of human beings and machines. Incubo required neither money nor actors. For the next one I think I’m gonna need actors. I also want to take more time to make it: I kinda rushed the editing of my first one because of a festival deadline approaching, I wanna put more care in the next.