Monday 15 July 2019

Interview with filmmaker Raphaël Desbordes

Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival will be screening VD3

*How did you get into making films?
I got into that when I was really young actually. With a bunch of friends, especially 2 of them, we experimented and tried to make our own movies. 
We began when I was 7 with just a shitty webcam -do you remember the small circle logitec one ?- but we were trapped in the basement (where the computer was). 
After, my mom bought me a DV cam so we began to shoot outside. At the begin, it was mostly cop stuffs and then it began to become more and more gory coz that what I really like and also unfortunately coz my friends didn't continue in movie making.

*What inspired you to make your movie?
Well, I had a lot on that one ! There was kinda all the German underground splatter movies, like Burning Moon or Violent Shit for the most known, but also actually all the underground splatter movies. But I also wanted to have a catchy killer like Jason Voorhees, you know ? 
And so I wrapped it in a little anti-system speech (it's well hidden, I confess !) and then came Painful Revenge 3 : Gore, Action, and Anarchy !

*How has your style evolved?
Actually, the essence didn't evolve so much but it came older like me. So, I wanted it to be more good looking and always find new methods to get rid the lake of budget. 
I always wanted to punch the viewers with things like gory, funny, or disgusting stuffs so I'm glad to see the path I did since my first movie (experiment ?) and how my story got more and more odd.

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
Well, the broken windshield that you see in the movie wasn"t planned at all ! It cost a lot but I decided to kept that in the movie coz fuck cinema is made of unexpected things !
Plus, the storyline had been charged several times. The actor who played the killer at first changed his mind and didn't to shoot anymore in the movie so I changed the plot. I played the killer for several sequences until I had the idea to move the spirit of the killer from a body to another. That sounds odd but cinema is odd so let's rock !

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
I'm an anarcho-punk so Pink8 manifesto talks to me as a movie maker. Creation is important no matter what and I think that this movement tells this great. No rules should be impose to creation !

*What can we expect from your next film?
First, I'm really glad that Painful Revenge 3 get its first festival screening after the years ! And I'm also really glad to announce my next movie, "Morte à l'avance" (Already Dead) for this year after 3 years of hard work ! It's a rape and revenge very feminist, anarchist, and anti-system packed with lot of gore. That's a huge goal for a movie maker to succeed in telling and showing to viewers what I want to give them without having a huge budget. That's the essence of cinema for me : making what you want no matter the budget or what you are !

There's a limited 33 DVD and a limited to 20 VHS edition of the trilogy that has been released and which is available.