Monday 15 July 2019

Interview with filmmaker Adolf El Assal

Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival will be screening The Notorious Guys

*How did you get into making films? 
I actually discovered cinema at around 14 years old where I sneaked into a screening of “Dangerous Minds” with Michelle Pfeiffer. The film blew me away that cinema became some sort of drug. When I was at university, that’s where my love for cinema really developed and started doing my own films with my friends using the equipment from university. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
In this film, even if it’s a comedy, there’s lots of personal experiences in it that I put in there to show my view of the world as a filmmaker from Luxembourg. 

*How has your style evolved? 
I feel that with time, a filmmaker becomes better just like a good wine. The more experience you gain, the easier it is for you deal with all sorts of issues and trying to find solutions. With my new film that I just completed, SAWAH, I had the opportunity to work with some established actors and an amazing screenwriter. This has given me enough confidence to continue doing what I love. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
Check out the Speck Brothers sequence: Did you know that Tarantino has stolen this from me? In his Django Unchained, he has in the opening scene two men on horses named Speck Brothers and in mine, I have 2 fat guys on a bicycle… is it a coincidence or pure luck? 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
Don’t give a F*%& what people think of your art! Simply go for it! 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
I hope that people will like it. Here’s the trailer: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWwJIT67C3Y