Thursday 18 July 2019

Interview with filmmaker Micah Atkinson

Here To Mars will be screening at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
I used to make music videos and skits with my sister and friends on a tape cassette camera. I'd have to start and stop the camera for every cut and scene change! Digital has definitely made the process easier haha. 

*What inspired you to make your movie?
Always known I had to make a feature or I would forever regret it. It just had to be the right story and involve the right people. These people and this story were huge blessings from God and I'm still shocked the movie is actually made. 

*How has your style evolved?
My style has honestly been pretty consistent since the beginning. Always an art-altered reality. During film school (which I don't recommend) I lost all of my artistic drive. But this movie was, in a sense, a return to my post- "education" style roots. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
The truck and the RV in the film actually belong to Jesse, my star actor. Halfway through filming he and I took a month off to be summer camp counsellors, then came back and finished the movie. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
Only in micro-budget filmmaking can people with a real eye and talent showcase their ability. I wish there were more outlets for creators like this to show their work and demonstrate their skills. I would love to head a TRULY independent film festival at some point. 

*What can we expect from your next film?
Who knows if there will be a next film! Possibly. I wouldn't want to do something as dramatic again. Something more fun, more wacky. I'd like to bring back the zany dark comedies of the late 80s-90s.