Wednesday 17 July 2019

Interview with filmmaker Diego Adrian

Margen will be screening at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

How did you get into making films?
Since quite a boy When I was in high school I watched many movies and I thought "I can do that" So, as soon as I finished studying, I went to a film school. I quickly discovered that it was my passion and what I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

*What inspired you to make your movie?
I was inspired by the reality and the crisis that Argentina is experiencing today. In these moments, thousands of companies are closing and many people are left without work and that is very distressing. I wanted to tell the story of a person who falls out of the system and runs out of resources to protect his family

*How has your style evolved?
I think we all improve with each movie we make. In addition to perfecting the technique, some knowledge of the language one is interested in exploring is acquired. The same thing happens with scripts, as one writes more, their technique improves and that is seen in the stories we tell.

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
On one of MARGEN's filming days, we were in the middle of summer, six people in a car with all the windows closed for sound reasons. We had to record the scenes in which the protagonist carries several characters in his car and we suffocate. When I said "ready", we quickly opened all the windows to breathe.

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
The movement seems very interesting to me, especially for countries where there is little support for the cinema. In Argentina, the current government imposed many restrictions on filming in an industrial manner, which is why independent and low-budget films have grown a lot. New ways of thinking come to the cinema and interesting and novel projects arise.

*What can we expect from your next film?
My new movie, will be composed of twenty short stories. It will be a choral film, dizzying and with different genres (drama, comedy, suspense, experimental). It will be an independent film, totally self-managed and with the collaboration of actors and friends.