Wednesday 17 July 2019

Interview with filmmaker Allabhya Ghosh

Struggles of Indian Film maker will be screening at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
From a very young age, I like to think and telling stories.I was famous in my primary to high school friends for the every day new stories.The stories come from my life.In my childhood, I used to live near the Zamindar palace at Tollygunge in Kolkata.I never entered the palace;But my imagination was very comfortable to revolted around the garden and in the beautiful palace.Those imaginations become my everyday story. My stories and fantasy were looking for methods of expression.In those days a bioscopewala was very popular among children.I got confirmed that I would make myself a bioscopewala. But the dream was broken.I was unable to create a projector with useless spectacular spectacles.But I made a pinhole camera and was start dreaming with antagonistic images. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
This is not a story of a day.From early days I am very home keeping.In my childhood, I used to play wedding game with dolls like a girl.In fact, by the doll I arranged for family drama, parade and fight in those days.This was the first methods of my dramatic expression.After that, I start writing, drawing & clay modelling was interested in art, music, drama, and literature.In group theatre; Joined.When I was acting film, television and opera theatre; Writing script for others; I was not satisfied.I started the children's street drama group.My friend wanted to make a short film on my story.I was not only a screenwriter of his film, I helped him in direction, shot division, music design, make-up, artist selection and other activities.The film was selected at the Kolkata International Film Festival.I was surprised; I had a small credit in the credit list.I left all my jobs and decided to make my own movie.I became more poor.But among the difficulties, I have succeeded in making my debut film "The Thief".Life inspires me to tell the story at any cost through any art form.The demand for large canvas and composited art inspired me to make my own movie. 

*How has your style evolved? 
The style of my film depends on the story or the subject.I have no definite style. panning, tracking or static camera, dialog or without dialog, music or without music, silent or sound in my film give importance to the storytelling. I look forward to a new style of storytelling for my every movie.I like versatility in my films.I am not grammatically correct. My filmmaking style comes naturally, spontaneously with its love of art, with the passion of the heart. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
"Struggle of Indian Filmmaker" is actually my first film in 2011. But unreleased. I am seeking a self expression from every breath of my life. Art is my heart since childhood. My playing, my eating, my sleeping, my love making; everything in my life is very artistic. Finally, when I decided that film is a proper expression for me. Then a question arises. Why am I thinking that this is right for me? Then I started studying the history of Indian film and world cinema. To find myself or make a way for my film making ideology; I made the film "Struggle of Indian Filmmaker”. Not just me; I think every real artist is finding himself in his works.
The dream of filmmaking from a lower middle class family is a joke. It is the extreme dream of a mosquito to touch the sky. The desire of an ant to climb the peak of the mountain. Desire of a
lame to dance. Yes we are financially lame. Apart from this, we are academically lame. It's a big inability. I don't mean that academy means school college university. Universal study; Education is a lifelong process. I still face jokes from my family, friends and relatives of my society. I have remembered; When I was recording the documentary's voice, my brother laughed at my accent in the name of a Brazilian.When I came to act in the film industry, my father told me that you are not Uttam Kumar. (Not a good looking man). 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
I think need a parallel culture. And I also feel proud that I am practising the culture which is completely against the ruined mainstream. Misrule Cinema Movement (2010-2016) & Pink8 manifesto have a great backing for independent filmmakers to the government's disbanded, micro budgets films. 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
Film is very expensive media for us.We are tirelessly trying to make independent films without compromising arts. We think ; this type of film is not art for art's sake . It is art for human's sake.We are trying to rise ethics, integrity, individuality, dignity, love, faith, etc more important human values.Which are the basic ingredients of all cultures and religions . We are friend of general people. My next film will also be a moral ideological political film.