Monday 15 July 2019

Interview with filmmaker Alexander Kaminer

Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival will be screening Lift

*How did you get into making films? 
I've been contemplating about it for about 5 years now and since I'm still a professional actor for more than 15 years and been around different sets and productions, you can't help but learn the process of the movie making. But you have to be completely open to receive that knowledge. You can sit in your trailer and sip coffee or you can pick a DP's brains about a certain lens or and angle; you can sneak up on the director's monitor and see what is it there and if what he or she envisioned is actually there. You can hear the film lingo and learn the words so that when you're producing something, you can actually communicate properly with your team. You have to make friends with the PA's because tomorrow they're going to be producers and they know you, because you weren't an asshole to them. You have to annoy the wardrobe lady until she kicks you out, because you finally got what you wanted. The same goes for the makeup artists. If the grips like you, they'll light you in the best possible way. Again, if you're that person - you're a filmmaker; a guy that knows everything and everyone, but must find his own people that know a little bit more than him or her and that's when the magic happens. Now, you're making films! 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
So, continuing my answer to the first question, when I finally came up with a script that I could do on my own, I started to put together the equipment I need and how to do it, based on my experience as an actor and as aforementioned. The inspiration came from an article that an on-line magazine did about me: https://www.indieactivity.com/interview-with-alexander-kaminer/
When answering questions about the filmmaking process and pretty much getting over my own hangups and fears I finally had the right impulse to go into action and fast. The script was finished and I started casting right away! The rest is history! LOL 

*How has your style evolved? 
It hasn't yet. I've just started, but my style the way it is has a big influence from the European cinema: Russian, Italian, French, German and some American movies from the 90's. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
I was in the trunk of my car for 3 month directing my actors and all of a sudden a homeless lady approaches us and say, "Do you have a permit to shoot this shit!" LOL 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
Without reading up on it or knowing anything about brings up craziness and complete freedom of thought. 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
Oh! You would just have to wait and see, my friend...