Sunday 21 July 2019

Interview with filmmaker Chukwuma Emma Ogbangwo

Judas will be screening at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

How did you get into making films? 
I always wanted to make video games. I even have a Master's degree in computer games production. But the gaming industry here in Nigeria is practically non-existent so I decided to learn how to design 3d animations and visual effects for movies and music videos. I did that for a while and realised I could easily just learn the entire film making process. So I took a course in film making and also music video production. When I relocated back to Nigeria, I went full time into film production as an independent film maker.

What inspired you to make your movie? 
Most film makers in Nigeria usually make movies in the romantic drama or comedy genres because that's what sells here. My brother came up with the script for JUDAS which does not really fall into any of those genres but we decided to make the film. We wanted to do something that was not the norm here and see how it would be received.

How has your style evolved? 
With time, I think I have been drifting more to the Guerilla style of shooting. Getting things done as quickly as possible while still paying attention to details.

Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
Okay, here's a funny thing that happened while filming JUDAS... I was rehearsing a scene with some of the actors just before shooting and while we were going over their lines, my belt snapped and I didn't realise until I stood up after rehearsal and was about to direct the scene. As I stood up, my pants fell and I was lucky enough to catch it just as it reached my knees... Luckily enough, nobody really noticed except my brother who offered me his belt for the rest of the day.

The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
To be honest, I don't really have an idea what it is about.

What can we expect from your next film? 
For my next film, I'm definitely still shooting genres that are not really being done here. I'm thinking of going for a psychological thriller. It's going to be dark and kind of uncomfortable to the audience here in Nigeria but it's also going to be pretty interesting.