Monday 8 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Steve Rudzinski

                    CarousHell will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
When I was 12 I saw Army of Darkness on television and knew what I had to do with the rest of my life. Wanted to make movies ever since that day. Awful Hi-8 movies in my young teens, awful MiniDV video movies in and after high school, poor attempts at features and an online show, then finally starting for real with my 2011 film Slasher Hunter. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
I like eating and needed to make more money to buy more food, so I was inspired to make another movie. 

*How has your style evolved? 
It really hasn't. In terms of style itself. I've had the same style of taking the tropes people know of a genre, putting them in a blender, and frapping the hell out of them. While also keeping up a high level of silly and fun. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
There really was not much to talk about, it was a pretty standard and laid back film schedule. I'd say the funniest story is how much we really went out of our way to protect the home we were using from blood, to the point where not a SINGLE drop of blood was on any floor, wall, or carpet. But because of the one time we threw coffee in someone's face, we were still finding and cleaning coffee during the entire two week long shoot. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
I think the Pink8 brings up a mixed bag. I agree with parts that push being able to make something without needing a full budget, with focus on using first time or non-screen actors, and how film school should never be seen as a requirement. But I don't think a heavy focus on improvisation is a good suggestion for most films, following "no HD cameras" today comes off as weird in a time when we carry HD cameras in our pockets, and even on the most guerilla film teamwork and using the ideas and point of view of others is still important to me so if it is an option having someone else edit or help edit your film is a great way to expand the voice of the project. 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
Well after I made this one I made four children's talking animal movies for easy paychecks, and I love them for what they are. So since I've been away from silly horror for four years now, it's due for a return to silly horror.