Monday 8 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Jay Kay Marshall

                     Nameless will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
I love the sense of escapism a film gives and have always been creative, but never intended on making films. I'd been making electronic music for a while and applied for a number of music courses, but they all required you to have a certain amount of music theory, which I didn't have. So crazy as it sounds I decided to do a film degree at the time, thinking I'll be hanging out with film makers who will be looking for scores and soundtracks, turned out though that a really liked film making. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
As far as the inspiration for the story, the films opening dialogue pretty much sums it up. I grew up in a small town where not much happened most of the time, apart from when some seemingly normal person would flip out and murder someone. I always wondered why. 

*How has your style evolved? 
I have no idea, it’s like when you see someone every day and you don't notice them changing. It’s just this organic process you're in the middle of. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
We had a lot of what you might call bad luck. The first day of the shoot I almost chocked and had to be given the hymelick maneuver. Alan the producer, narrowly avoided a serious accident in which a number of other people were seriously injured, an extra pulled out last minute as they had to be rushed to hospital, and the list goes on. It was good luck in a way though as we all survived near misses. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
To be honest I'd never heard of either till now. I googled it though and saw its similar to Dogme 95, which was much of the inspiration for what we'd done. I can't be sure if we stuck rigidly to the manifesto, our main goal was to bring the film in on the budget we had which was just under €5000 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
That's a tough one... This film pretty much gave me a nervous breakdown. The budget was so low I had to take on a lot of roles myself, I ended up writing, directing, co producing, AD'ing, doing continuity, editing, sfx, sound design and scoring the film. Some days I even did craft services. I've got a few other features written though and countless shorts, plus I've started writing a TV series, so who knows.