Wednesday 10 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Rinoshun

The Butterflies Have Died will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

How did you get into making films? 
It actually started when I was in my 11th grade. Me and my friends were planning on making this short film within the school premises and I started doing the research for how a screenplay is written. The process was so interesting that I started learning the other process of making films. It just felt like the best time I was having in my life learning these things. That is how I got into making films. But actually thinking back I guess this is what I always wanted to do, I remember telling my friends in the 2nd grade that I wanted to do this alien animated film. I also grew up with a house full of movie CDs. 

What inspired you to make your movie? 
Just the fact that I could reach to a lot of people maybe. I really don't know what inspired me, it just that I enjoy this more than anything, When I make films it does not feel like work, it feels like a whole lot of fun, it just feels right. 

How has your style evolved? 
I am still a very indie filmmaker. But when I started I was very interested in extravagant and bigger than life shots. But in the films, I shoot I have always stuck to basic shots to tell my story. For me personally, the story is what matters. Everything else comes after that. So, I think I've grown to be a person who thinks that 80% of the film work is in the screenplay. 

Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
''The butterflies have died," film was made completely during the lockdown. There was no one in the apartment and I was all alone. I did not have my camera so I had to shoot in my 150$ smartphone which had no great camera, Anyway I decided to shoot with what I have without making too much fuzz about the situation. I started shooting and two days into it I found out all my shots were focusing repeatedly and it felt very odd. Only three days into the shoot I figured that there was a lock focus mode in my mobile which saved the whole film. I did not have any lights too. So, I had two tube lights and no extra wire, so I had to use an extension cable and light both of them, it was a whole lot fun. The whole film was made on a budget of under 5$. 

The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind
My film ticks every rule of the Pink8 manifesto. 

What can we expect from your next film? 
I am looking forward to the answer to that question too. My first indie film is still not out, that is what I am most excited about for now. I have two other scripts that I want to shoot, I would need someone that would finance me in making it. I think you can expect the next films to come to be exciting too. One can only guess.