Monday 15 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Sandro Ventura

Three Kids & A Dad will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
I always dreamed of making movies. So, together with a friend as crazy as me, we decided to make a first movie with the cameras and friends we had. It was years when in Peru with luck two Peruvian films were released each year. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
It's my profession. I love writing a script, being on a film set and getting involved in all aspects of post production. My curiosity makes me want to learn everything I can, because I want to continue creating stories and share them with the public. 

*How has your style evolved? 
Each movie is a learning experience. I like to create stories that move me emotionally and with which I can travel through all film genres. That allows me to research and watch many movies from all decades, including silent movies. I feel that this causes my style to consolidate in each film, although I am also aware that there are elements especially in the staging that are repeated and that somehow begin to be part of my style. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
The script is based on my own story as a divorced dad who had to take care of his three children. In real life I had to live that responsibility for several years, but for screenplay purposes we reduced it to six months. Being such a close story, the children's casting was a challenge for me and even more directing them. It was very exciting, because their personalities were similar to my children. During filming we played a lot, soccer, basketball, etc. and the actors and technicians were also part of those games. In the end a beautiful family was formed. Now imagine what the last day of filming was like. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
The truth is that I have just met the manifesto and the movement with the Festival. I find it interesting that creation is encouraged above all else. 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
I hope to finish it, hahaha. I stayed in the middle of filming after the announcement of the quarantine here in Peru. Everything stopped and we don't know yet when we can resume filming. In addition, due to protocol issues, it is very likely that some scenes will need to be changed to suit these in these new times. The movie is called Fat World and it is the first time that I am directing a script that I have not written.