Monday 8 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Luca João

Um Ano Sem Morada will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
After seven years trying to be someone that I wasn't, studying and working business and marketing, I finally took a leap of faith and went after of what really moved me, and that was films. So I went studying Cinema at Federal University of Santa Catarina and got to make my first movie in 2015. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
I always wanted to make a long feature so I planned to do it as my final project at the university, after 3 years and a half and more than 28 short movies I went and did a long feature inspired bu the story of me and my friends when we were all younger. 

*How has your style evolved? 
Lots of experiments, but mainly doing movies, lots of short movies, lots of Youtube videos, watching lots of videos and films and something that comes from inside that I don't  know, but it is like my own thing. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
When we were shooting the night beach scene we didn't realize until the next day that we were all being " attacked" by little mosquitoes, and in the next day all of us were like we had caught the pots. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
I dont know the movement and the manifesto, but what comes to mind when I read their names is something about not being concerned about the "rules"of doing a movie and just do it. 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
I have been working on a script of "what if... this hadn't happened?" of the Brazilian Dictatorship story.