Tuesday 9 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Onur Koçyiğit

                       Oguz will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
I started the film industry primarily as an actor. After playing on several projects, I won the film design and cinema department of the university. When I made short films for homework, I decided that the time would be longer and I decided to make low-cost, student work, movie studios, and develop myself in camera acting, and I shared this decision with my father. My father first objected, but he helped because he believed I could succeed and provided the film. So the movie came out and won your appreciation. I thank both you and my father. 

*What inspired you to make your movie?
My role friend in theater and my story are parallel to each other. When my friend passed away from cancer, I decided to make this movie both to commemorate him and to reveal my biography. In the movie, we see the composition of 2 different stories. 

*How has your style evolved?
When I watched the genre films, I wondered what kind of films I could make, and this film came out as a biography. So I thought I could impress the audience. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
Oddly enough, the old man stabbed in the movie may have died of a heart attack. As a funny event, he was going to be a virgin in the ritual scene, but I couldn't find a virgin because I played virgin. I felt very strange when I completely scratched my hair. Also, when I went to shoot the go kart scene, the track was empty. We started shooting, young people started to come. After shooting, I started talking about cancer while passing the young people waiting in line. Of course, the young people there thought they were real and asked what cancer. I did not give it to the rout and I started to feel like the character of Oğuz at that moment. I answered like Oghuz. We also went to the beach attraction. I had the general permissions. However, the security on the beach did not let us in. What was the need for a separate permit for the coast. It took me 2 hours and canceled the set. Whereas I had already pulled. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
I do not think of anything because I do not know what it is. (We'll thats a lie cose you screened your movie with us last year you passive aggressive douche....)

*What can we expect from your next film?
As a true story again, I am thinking of adapting the story of my Mexican roommate in the dormitory of the university in Ankara. When my friend came to Ankara, his family's financial situation was impaired. My friend had gigolo to make money out of the dorm. One day, after being with a woman, she felt pain in the leg and when she went to the doctor, she learned that she had aids. His country returned to Mexico both because he could not pay the dorm and because of his illness.