Tuesday 9 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Abdullah Abu Snaineh

Jaza will be screening at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
In truth, I started with writing short stories and novellas. However, I had an idea of a film that could be shot in one location, so I wrote it and filmed it. After that, I did some sketches and short films.
*What inspired you to make your movie?
Actually, I wanted to make a film with a budget of less than a 1000$. And I had already had an idea of a film that requires minimal cast and locations. Si I just went along with it.
*How has your style evolved?
I believe that having limited resources puts the filmmaker in a position where they have to make the best they can out of almost nothing. But when it works it's really fun. In my first film, I relied and dialogue very much. However, I wanted to try something new in the next film, so I made a silent short.
*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
I, who plays the lead in the film, had to trim my beard every single day. And the worst part was that we shot the film in a closed, hot location, so the beard was really uncomfortable.
*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
No/low-budget, independent films. They're might be hard to watch for some people, but they're lots of fun making.
*What can we expect from your next film?
I'm working on three different scripts now. And each one is very distinct that the others. But I guess a comedy/horror would be my next project.