Monday 8 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Cesare Mangiocavallo

    Siegfriedsdorf Dixieland Band will premier at the Straight Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
I started very young making short films with my friends and gradually, seeing lots of movies, became more and more interested in cinema. So my passion for cinema grew hand in hand with the one for music (I play jazz drums). I did no film school. At 17 I was very fortunate having the opportunity to make my first feature (Siegfriedsdorf dixieland band).

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
My inspiration was the story of the Terezín concentration camp, which was a "model-lager" during WW2. I was specially interested in the particular condition of musicians prisoners, who were allowed to play and organise concerts while being exploited by nazis for propaganda purposes.

*How has your style evolved? 
I really don’t know. When I made it (2 years ago) I was a 17 years old completely different person, so I find it difficult to say. In my next project I’ll surely experiment new stuff.

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
I have so many! The “lager” scenography you see in the movie was built by myself but was too light. We used to build it in a field used for cultivation and let it there for the night. One of the last nights after shooting there was a big rainstorm, so, the morning after, when we got back to the field we found the set completely destroyed and had to rebuild it. Actually wasn’t funny to me at all at the time, it was just catastrophic. Also, when I shot the dream sequence I needed a pheasant. We bought it from an owner of a restaurant in Rome, so I saved him from certain death. For that sequence I had to bring the pheasant in an elementary school and shoot the scene while kids were having lessons. It was kinda weird.

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
I think it's a great inspiration for independent filmmakers. As for me, realising a no budget film with a lot of non professional actors and minimum equipment was hard but not artistically frustrating. limitations in art could be a great source of inspiration.

*What can we expect from your next film?
I’m at the beginning of a new feature script now with no idea where I’m going. I was always attracted challenging myself doing every time something completely different than before