Tuesday 9 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Julio Godinho

               Forbidden Copy will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
I have a great impulse of admiration for the American brats' movie, such as Spielberg; Scorcese; de Palma; and so on; I started to make small, self-fiction; videos with a Video 8 camera; 

*What inspired you to make your movie?
I was inspired by Antonioni's films; such as the three films for MGM studios; I choose one; 'the passenger'; movies from the great master of documentaries; Wiseman; such as "near-death"; Coen brother's films; Alexander Payne's Citizen Ruth'"; (...) 

*How has your style evolved?
From fiction to documentary; and the inverse documentarian and fictionalize. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
A series of documentary films I made was presented to online-audience through YouTube and Vimeo, without any editing; and it really works; the final product. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
Freedom to make and more open to experimentation and acceptance; a different world of an audience; very well made this festival, it's my third film at your festival, in the last three years. 

*What can we expect from your next film?
In the present I'm writing some ideas; maybe I will use some of the ideas or something in my film, or just improvise, free-jazz; but it will be; shooting something completely different'