Monday 8 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker MJ Watz

                       Leash Leader will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
I moved to San Francisco when I was 19 to go to City College of San Francisco and study Cinema Production, before that I would make up music videos in my head. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
I made Leash Leader to digest what had happened to me while living in LA after graduating from UCLA, mostly the parts where I was smoking a ton of weed and in a psychologically traumatising relationship. 

*How has your style evolved? 
The more I learn about the process of filmmaking the better I am at making creative decisions that I can accomplish. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
Making the film was incredible, the cinematographer came from Mexico City, the editor from Rome, and the assistant director from Massachusetts, they lived in my mother's house and we made the movie in a month, filming and editing. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
I am too depressed to keep up with any movements at the moment. I just want to sleep. 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
I am focusing on assistant directing.