Tuesday 30 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Roger Davill

Amores Artificiais will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
Well, my career as a director started in college, with experimental work, as well as other students who had the same goals, and I started to enjoy the possibility of telling stories my way, as my way of seeing the world. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
Some experiences I had and observation of other similar stories, motivated me to deal with the theme covered in Artificial Loves; SOCIAL PATHOLOGIES 

*How has your style evolved? 
Before making cinema, I was a theater actor and then I worked as a director, but I can say that my way of doing suffers references from the great directors of my country, of course we look at other good names in world cinema, but as I consider myself to be in the early career there is still a lot to learn and experience in the audiovisual universe. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
Well, i have several stories, but i will report one that caught my attention, as this film was inspired by real events, it took place in a scene in which the actors did not know the (real) name of the person being represented in the film and in a very strange way they started to give the text and saying the person's name in real life and that caught my attention, because I was careful to change the names of the characters so that there would be no problems with processes or something, but the actors insisted on treating the characters by their real names that was very bizarre. because nobody knew that the story was based on facts. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
My identification with the aforementioned movements comes from the possibility of making cinema in an alternative way, without resources and sometimes improvised, but in the end it works and the result is surprising. Guerrilla cinema is not tied to the big studios or large producers of the traditional film industry, and for that reason we suffer a certain prejudice for making this type of cinema. do my works, I believe that over time we will be seen and recognized, I say because cinema is an art it is not done collectively and my companions think just like me. 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
I am working on an action film, also in the guerrillas, it will be a film that addresses political and social issues, heinous crimes and the fight against them, the name is Tiro Certo. We will have news soon!