Tuesday 9 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Marley Worth

    Welcome To Paradise will be screening at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
I always wanted to be a filmmaker and wrote my first screenplay when I was 15. Unfortunately I didn’t have the resources to make it despite holding auditions in my local youth club. It was always a burning passion of mine and I got the opportunity to make this film. I had a creative partner this time who shared my vision. My co-director/writer and the star Scott Ambrose. 

*What inspired you to make your movie?
This film is about a post brexit vote world centred around a singular area Walthamstow. Walthamstow was chosen because it was where Scott lived and we thought it would be an interesting focus of the film. Centred around a comedic/tragic character Johnny Powell. Who spouts his philosophy to the camera which might be seen as contentious. 

*How has your style evolved?
The style of the film was a documentary to make it easier to film and make more sense if it was centred around an individual who no one cared about. I felt influenced by El-Marachi film style which is to take notes of what you have and use it to make a film. And we didn’t have much. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
The opening scene included Scott’s girlfriend at the time hitting him, they were separating at the time, so I think she agreed to film the scene just to hit him. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
Misrule film and the Pink8 Manifesto make me think of underground independent films that are made in a punk/guerilla style. 

*What can we expect from your next film?
I’m not too sure what my next project will be. I’d like to do a film that’s more of a ensemble next rather than a singular character piece. It depends who I work with. I’d like to act a bit more in the next feature. Last time I spent the majority of time behind the camera and while I enjoyed it. I want to develop my performing skills with other actors. But I’d also want to work with Scott again if we find the time. But it was difficult balancing working, studying and filmmaking at the same time. But for the right idea we’d make the time.