Wednesday 10 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker SS Jishnu Dev

Simile will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
I strongly believe that visual stories are powerful weapons to tell our point of views and say the truth happens in our life as well as society world wide. In my way , film is an art which will increase its beauty even though watching it several times. In childhood I had seen many Indian movies which inspired me to take the role of a film maker in my life. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
There are lot of inspiration to make the movie 'simile'.As the name of the film I tried hard to relate the main character 'Appu' with the nature.When we closely take a look in to nature , the acts of human deadly affecting nature very well. After a period of time,nature reacts.These things became the concepts of my film.The movies of Adoor Gopalakrishnan ( Indian Film Maker),Jafar Panahi ( Iranian Film Maker) highly inspired me. 

*How has your style evolved? 
The concept I took was really hard to convey.So I decided to change the pattern of the story in yet another style.There is a very popular fable named "panchathanthra" which based on five Tantras,I borrowed that chapters and made the five chapters of my film. In each and every chapters the story is moving according to the basic concepts of this "tantra". 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
As a new pattern want to be created,I asked artist to make there own dialogues during the production. Every scenes they did it well. But during an important lengthy one take scene ,a very serious scene,hope it was a 5-6th take ,one of them missed the dialogue in end portion.At last it became perfect after the 26 th Take. It happened same as during the post production,the same scene , same dialogues.That was a funniest and strangest thing happened. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
Everywhere lot of money is spending to make movies even if it needs a few.There are lot of technical evolutions are happening around the world.In my point of view,Good art also happens in low budget .The film movements like  The misrule film movement & Pink 8 manifesto shows how to make a film in low budget and bring it to the audience.These inspires young film makers to come forward and show their talents. 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
Of course,It may be a social issues related experimental subject in a low budget.Pre production works are going on.Thank You...