Wednesday 17 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Jessy Duport

Deep Web will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
My whole life is a flirt with cinema. But it became a reel love affair after I step away from main stream movies during my teenage period and discover art house, underground, low budget and marginal cinema. Then I started thinking I should grab a camera and make a movie my self. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
I wanted to do something dark and abstract with multiples layers. I was in an exploration mode, in a stylistic exercise. 

*How has your style evolved? 
Well I believe we're figuring out a style our whole life. Just trying to be myself and follow my own particular taste. I also like to create following the unexpected element on set and turning them into our advantages. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
Everything about our location was tricky because we had to be discrete. In the convenient store we had to stop shooting each time a customer enter the store. In the library it was very funny because we had the be quiet and we didn't ask for permission. The scenes in the forest near the end was shoot over 3 summers. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
Harmony Korine come to mind indeed. I totally admire and love everything in filmmaking that involve freedom and some sort of an out of the box philosophy. I think cinema is an art and box office should not rule this industry. 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
My first language is French and I' m thinking to make a feature in this language. I have an idea for a story about a father and son. They haven't meet for 20 years and the father will need to drive thousands of miles in order to reconcile with his son. But I want to add an almost psychedelic tone to it.