Wednesday 10 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Paulo Antunes

Un Punk Chamado Ribas will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
I always wanted to be a filmmaker because I like telling stories and document about music. I spent my youth making some music videos and promo videos. My first documentary is a short-film called "Metamorphosis", analogy between butterfly metamorphosis and transform-ism (drag queens). “A Punk called Ribas” is my first feature film. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
Exist a bunch of directors and films have been important to me. In this case, I seen a lot of documentaries about other musicians, for example "Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten" (2007), or "Raul - The Beginning, the End and the Middle" (2012) and Portuguese documentaries about music. But the “character” João Ribas and your life was my main inspiration. 

*How has your style evolved? 
I hope that with the next documentary, I don't know, but I would like to start defining my own style in my docs. It would be cool! 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
On the first day that we went to shooting our microphone broke down, so we used the micro that João Ribas used in the shows, borrowed by his nephew.I can say that I had the idea for this documentary on a night of drunkenness while watching a show by the band of the "character" of the documentary. When we were in Berlin shooting, me and André (Camera and DoP) ended up watching a Cock Sparrer show´s. We bought the tickets 10 minutes before the show while we drank a few beers in Fraken Bar and a girl have two more tickets and sold us. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
A true DIY punk ethic in cinema. 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
My next documentary is also about an iconic Portuguese punk musician. In this case he is alive, so the narrative will be a little different, he could be to tell your story. But the follow-up of my work will be this, documenting Portuguese music, mainly the underground scene.