Monday 15 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Jesus Alvarez Betancourt

Roomates will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

How did you get into making films?
I always wanted to make films. I think that´s the clearest thing I´ve ever had in my life. Every time I watched a movie, deep down I knew that what I wanted was to get out the seat and start making them, but equal I saw it distant. Finally, I encouraged myself to take that step, thanks to two of my friends who shared the same dream. What inspired you to make your movie? My last movie Roommates, talks about friends, the real ones. Not those who stay temporarily, but those who become part of your family. Roommates is a sum of anecdotes, people I have met and things I´ve lived, with its share of fiction of course. 

How has your style evolved? 
Rommates is my fourth movie and i definitely feel like there is a growth since the first till the current in technical terms. In the resources I have to be able to do it. In the stories I like to tell I think I always find a common point and is that they´re about the people who left a mark in your life, it doesn´t matter if you met them for a single day or if it´s your lifelong friend. The important thing is how a relationship mobilizes you. 

Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
I´m quite a distracted person, sometimes my head can be in four things at the same time. Or suddenly for instinct I desire to do something, that has already been talked about, in a different way and that in a shooting could generate some chaos. I remember asking for something as specific as a pink elephant doll or stuffed toy for a scene one day and the art team had to figure out how to get it in such a short time. I still think they hate me a little bit for that, besides I didn´t put it in the film at the end. 

The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
I think nowadays there are more possibilities to produce a movie. In Pink8-type policies, there are things in which I can agree with, but not all of them. Even though I´ve worked in some projects that could relate to that film, I believe that a movie built upon the sum of efforts of the technical as well as the artistic talent of the staff. At the same time, I feel the story ends up giving you clues as to how to write it; sometimes, not having some resources can encourage you to learn some interesting alternative ways of how to manage yourself without them. 

What can we expect from your next film? 
The next film, in which I´m working at the time, it´s called COCO Y EMMA; by far the most ambitious project I´ve ever worked on… all through searching for the resources to make it happen as well as the technique I´m using. It´s a fantastic movie – I think I´ve left my imagination fly too much, but it was the only way of telling a story that develops in a magical world.