Tuesday 9 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Hank Orion

Despair will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
Before I knew it I was making films, but funny enough originally I wanted to be a fashion designer. Its all changed when I went to the cinema for the first time in my life at the age of 12. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
Robert Rodriguez, that’s the name to blame. After I read his book my world changed. I wanted to be like him, I wanted to be one of those filmmakers that don’t take no for an answer. 

*How has your style evolved? 
My style slowly changed from super low budget independent to more of a Hollywood / studio I’d say. But because I’m coming from independent side of filmmaking, there is literally nothing I cannot do, I literally can make a film on my own in two days. In fact my first feature film Outsiders was shot in eight hours. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
I have a feeling when making my last feature film The Job, my cast and crew didn’t take me seriously when I said I’m going to make it in two days. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
It gives me vibes of  like “ Look at those people, they make films, don’t make your film” 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
My next film will be a Honey And Wine. I feel like I learnt a lot by making those super indie low-budget feature films. In fact, that was in the way my film school. I try to become more serious filmmaker, touch more serious subjects, and make films that matter.