Monday 15 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Alessio Nencioni

Go Dante Go, Go, Go! will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

How did you get into making films? 
I started for fun, with some friends, in the middle of the woods of Tuscany. The first film was entitled Il lago nero 3, an amateur horror film shot with very few technical gears. After that I tried to improve and broaden my team. It was a very punk, rough cinema, made without any money at all. 

What inspired you to make your movie? 
Go Dante Go Go Go is a metacinematographic movie, partly autobiographical. The protagonist is a director who embarks on the crazy undertaking of shooting ten short movies, one for each cinematographic genre. I was inspired by the many adventures that really happened trying to make indie cinema and by the numerous draft ideas never realized. 

How has your style evolved? 
What I have tried to improve over the years is above all the team work of my troupe, devising increasingly ambitious projects. The style has consequently changed, with a more professional approach while always maintaining a personal touch. 

Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
There would be so many funny stories. Like when we fell into the lake shooting the horror segment. Or when we obscured a skylight with helium-inflated black balloons, or when some private guards caught us shooting in abandoned and reckless houses, with reptiles and half-naked girls... 

The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
My cinema certainly has some points in common with that manifesto. I sympathise with a social cinema, made with few economic resources, punk, grotesque; wrong but alive. 

What can we expect from your next film? 
My death. Because if I'll survive to another movie that would be totally unexpected.