Monday 8 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Alex Hawthorne

New Track: A Music Documentary will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
I got into filmmaking because I like telling stories and being able to tell a story that involves sight and sound, to me, is the most appealing way to tell a story.

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
What inspired me to make this movie, I've seen documentaries about bands but it's always about the bands when they're at the height of their fame.  I wanted to make a movie about a struggling band.  A band that's not famous yet and they're trying to make it and be successful. 

*How has your style evolved?
My style has evolved in that I'm more interested in what people or characters are going through emotionally.  It was interesting hearing the difficulties that this band has to go through to get to their shows to perform. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
A funny story that happened on set, the place we were filming the interviews there was a cat there that occasionally meowed while we were all talking.  If you listen you can hear the cat meowing. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
To me, The Misrule Film Movement and Pink8 makes me think of a hands on approach.  I like that, I like being there doing the work myself.  When the band lylyly was performing I was glad to be there to film their show and see them perform live and see the audience reacting to their music and them performing. 

*What can we expect from your next film?
My next film will hopefully have some famous actors attached and will be filmed with a higher budget.  I'm feeling very ambitious with my next film!  I'm just trying to get everything together!