Tuesday 30 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Laura Grace Robles

Alice In Acid Wonderland will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

How did you get into making films? 
While studying art at the University of Texas at San Antonio I took a video art class with Leslie Raymond, now the Ann Arbor film festival executive director. I was assigned to make my first short film. It was then that I developed a love for film making. After that i couldn’t stop making films. The class was very inspiring and motivating for dreams I had of becoming a director like my Mother. 

What inspired you to make your movie? 
I was wandering YouTube watching all kinds of different versions of Alice In Wonderland, so I thought it would be cool to compile some of these different versions into my own acid version. 

How has your style evolved? 
I’ve always tried to contribute some kind of dream like interpretation to my films. Eventually I started becoming more interested into the “ACID” idea of psychedelic transformation for my films into to an acid dream experimental video art film form which I conceptualised my films with an Acid Dream Experimental Video Art film making manifesto which i wrote after directing DICA The Acid Dream Experiment and my latest film Alice in Acid Wonderland. Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? The funny thing I guess is that even though I was directing Alice In Acid Wonderland an acid film I never really actually tripped on acid. 

The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
It brings to mind challenges that most film making standards don’t expect you to follow through with. Its exciting how DIY the movement is and accepting to those rebel artists who have been doing these sorts of things all along. 

What can we expect from your next film? 
I’m not sure what to expect from my next film but I do know it will be very dream like and have some kind of psychedelic characteristics. I’m thinking of directing a film titled Acid Cinderella.