Wednesday 10 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Juanjo Martinez

Volviendo A Casa will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

How did you get into making films? 
When I was 6 years old, my father had a Canon Super 8 Video camera and I started shooting shorts films with action figure. At my 12,I made my first movie with my schoolmates. After that I performed more videos like those until my 27, when I was able  to make my first feature film 

What inspired you to make your movie? 
My need to find new ways of making films inspired me to do my movie I always try to be closer to action móvies , they inspire me , so it is why at that moment I Felt like a Challenge to record a  dramatic western. 

How has your style evolved? 
My style has evolved along with my greater learning and knowledge on the area I have the possibility to do many projects simultaneously so that allows me to grow and learn more as a director 

Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
Unfortunately , the accident suffered by one of our  actors when he was hit in the face. The punch was so strong and the actor was walking  dizzy on the set until he collapsed . He lost blood through his nose, which was fractured. When the actor recovered, he wanted to finish the shot, and did it with his real blood. Another very funny story is when a patrol car stopped a few meters from the set. We were using a real weapons and it could be a problem if the police wanted to investigate. My surprise was huge when they asked me ... What are they doing? - We are filming a movie, I answered . There was an eternal silence and... one of them asked me ... Can we act? My inexperience made me answered them it was impossible. Today I would do it without hesitation and would ask them to use the patrol car haha 

The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
No, no really 

What can we expect from your next film? 
Nowadays we are doing 3 new feature films. But due to the current situation that the world lives, They are delayed There are three different movies and I think that one is better than the other. We have high expectations with our film "Hearts on Fire: 4”which will be released in 2021, God willing.