Monday 8 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Nicholas Weed

Natzee Zombie Carnage will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
I watch a lot of old vintage television and movies, ever since I was a kid. Like the old science fiction and horror movies. My first job was running 35mm film projectors at an Art Deco movie theater. I also took some Television Production classes in junior college.  Thought it was something I could do. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
It was something to think about other than suicide. Tried making a Nazi Zombie film. Fought the Great War against Germany from '14 to '18. Spent the length of the First World War making a WW2 Zombie movie. 

*How has your style evolved? 
I made "Natzee Zombie Carnage" as a silent film set to music, with post production sound added latter like a dubbed Italian Spaghetti War Film. Not everything was one shot one take, like an Ed Wood style B-Movie. Sometimes I did multiple takes. Not everything worked out, and some things worked better than I could have possibly imagined. But, in the end a terrible No-Budget B-Movie was created. A work of Pop-Art and parody. A true nightmare for the ages. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
I use to watch U.F.O. documentaries because I like science fiction such as old shows like the Outer Limits.  However, I had never really beveled in them. Tried to be open minded, and skeptical at the same time. You know balanced. I kept filming my movie, and ended up with multiple shots where actual U.F.O.s were filmed in the background if some shots.  I didn't fake it. I don't even have any special effects software. I made my film like an old movie. I didn't really believe in U.F.O.s until they messed up some shots in my horror movie. I used a bunch of the shots with the U.F.O.s in them anyways. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
Good for them. If people aren't getting support, and making movies anyways, more power to them. That's all I did with my film. I did what Ed Wood would do, I got in and made the horror film happen. Gist give it your best shot, and Ultimate Victory can be achieved. "V" For Victory! 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
I will try to make it shorter, with less camp, and more serious. It will probably a little more low budget.  It will get made.  Another Science Fiction / Horror monstrosity.