Wednesday 10 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Javier Castro

Lalo y El Hombre Desnudo will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

How did you get into making movies? 
I got into making movies using webcams, old photographs, music records of my life and from there I never ran into any limit. 

What inspired you to make your movie?
Immortalise and honour my grandparents. 

How has your style evolved? 
I don't know how it has really evolved; I see it more as a sort of search for a language, a matter that I have already understood and embraced for a long time. Everything is finally summed up in a process that has nuances with personal experiences; from there, art cinema grants infinite possibilities to constantly reinvent itself. 

Tell us some strange or funny story while making the movie? 
The growls of Lela masked with vegetable fibre were her harvest; it was unexpected and remarkable at the same time; she really got into the character of the spirit. 

The Misrule movie movement and Pink8 manifesto that remind you? 
I don't know it right now. 

What can we expect from your next movie? 
I'm not sure, but now that I think about it there will surely be strange characters, humanity, poetry, existential mazes and flat details of good food.