Monday 8 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Arun Kanth

                Goko Mako will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
I wanted to work in post production , Sound Design, but did not get good projects so I decided to do my own project to showcase my skills. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
Radio Stations. They refused to play my independent music on their radio because I dint have a star cast. I asked them why should an audio have a video to play in the radio. That’s the stupid system exists in India. So to play my audio in the radio I made a movie itself so a music composer turned into a director and that’s they story of my movie as well “Goko Mako” my feature film shot completely on GoPro. Still they don’t play my independent music in their radio now I have started my own internet radio for indie music. 

*How has your style evolved? 
My style is purely based on spontaneous decisions if film making including dialogues. This has created a natural way of film presentation and has become my USP. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
The first shot of my first feature film Goko Mako was planned on a cinema Camera and the first shot looked so ugly because of Censor in the camera filled with fungus. I don’t wish to have a single day of shoot cancelled. Spontaneously we decided to shoot the first day and also the entire film on. GoPro and this has turned the movie so unique and this was the first theatrical feature completely shot on GoPro. Bold Risky spontaneous decisions make great outcomes. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
I never knew about this till this moment. Upon reading about this , I just realised co-incidentally I have been following every rule of the manifesto for the past 3 years and it’s fun. Enjoying the work is success. 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
People have seen movies with a one man cast. I am trying to make a movie with a one man crew. Literally ONE Man (myself) A-Z of of all the behind the camera work. Single man crew and I strongly feel I can and I will.