Wednesday 10 June 2020

Interview with filmmaker Markus Wimberger

Portae Infernales will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival
*How did you get into making films? 
I was interested in film and making films since my childhood. My father had a Super8 camera and so it didn't take long until I started filming myself. My first film was a short stop motion movie with puppets. Later my siblings had to step in as actors. My first bigger short film was Flesh for the King, a horror comedy which also attracted media attention and got some good reviews. And from then on new projects followed every few years. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 

I got to know the author and director Philip Lilienschwarz, who had the idea for a horror anthology. Together with him and my friend Herbert Gantner, we started to develop a horror episode film - three films by three directors. The idea for my story came from actor Jackie Wulf, who also played a leading role. 

*How has your style evolved? 

My first films were probably a bit trashy, with a rather  over-the-top plot. But even then, I tried to have good looking sets and costumes. My new film is much more demanding, both in terms of the script and the characters. And it is the first film in which I worked with a well-known actor (Helmut Berger). 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
I was very excited to work with a well-known actor: Helmut Berger was a big star in Europe in the 70's.  He had the reputation of being difficult on the set. When he appeared on the set, he said that he hadn't gotten a script in advance and therefore didn't know his lines! I thought the whole shoot would burst. But thank god in the end everything worked out and we finished the scenes with Berger successfully. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 

I like a certain guerilla approach to filmmaking myself. I also think that going to a film school or something like that is not important. What is important is to go out and have the guts to make a film, whatever risks it takes. 

*What can we expect from your next film? 

Right now I am working on a supernatural horror movie, filmed on an Iphone - again, starring Jackie Wulf. This time there is no script, everything is improvised. So its a real guerilla film project.