Tuesday 12 June 2018

Interview with filmmaker Sanja Savic


Our Fathers, Mothers and Their Children will be screening at the Straight Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
I studied dramaturgy on Faculty of Dramatic Arts in Belgrade. Even though, at the beginning of my studies, I was more interested for theatre (dramaturgy on FDA includes both film and theatre), but during the studies I developed my film interests and met interesting people, who are now important part of the crew: Marija Momić (DP), Jovana Filipović (film editor), Lazar Arsović (sound designer), Pavle Popov (composer) and Goran Filipaš (producer).

*What inspired you to make your movie?
The film takes place on the border between Republika Srpska and Federation of B&H, which are two entities of Bosnia and Herzegovina, and a very suitable ground for the increase of car theft. So, as I am originally from that place, I wanted to make a film about those complicated social and ethnic relations that even include post-war syndrom.


*How has your style evolved?
As a screenwriter, I always admired Aristotle-oriented writers who make interesting story structures like Paul Schrader, Anders Thomas Jensen or Guillermo Arriage. But, on the other side, I realized that my own style is something closer to European artistic movie, like Romanian new wave, Yugoslav Black wave or the authors like Ken Loach (let's mention his screenwriter Paul Laverty), Fatih Akin or Lukas Moodisson (for his early films). Of course, I wanted to write about the real people from my society.


*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
Oh, we were very limited in both budget, time and space. There were many funny situations, but I don't know if they are proper to talk about them in public...


*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
Now, when most of the film equipment is available to the filmmakers, it is inadmissible to say that we don't have a proper budget for the film. Of course, that does not mean that we should make skin-deep films. When the budget is low, the organization needs to be high level if you want a narrative movie. Internet helps people reach so many different films, and festivals like Straight Jacket Guerilla is one of them.


*What can we expect from your next film?
I working on hand drawn full-length animation film „The Story of Mika the Ant“. Hopefully, after ten years, it will have it's premiere until the end of this year.