Tuesday 12 June 2018

Interview with filmmaker Siavash Afshar


The Cook Book will be screening at the Straight Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
I decided to become a filmmaker when I was in middle school and never second-guessed it. I started by writing about movies in magazines and then by making a couple of short films and doing some editing jobs. The Cookbook is my debut feature.

*What inspired you to make your movie?
I've been always obsessed with the idea of "a fantastic happening in a realistic mood". six years before this movie I made an unscreened short film which the core idea of it stuck to my mind and when I was decided to make my feature I built stories around that idea. I don't wanna spoil the story, I am talking about what happens in the end.

*How has your style evolved?
"Style is primarily a matter of instinct."

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
I made my mother star as the old boss of a secret society with a giant alien mask on her head.

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
"I want anything, bad or good, but Strong."

*What can we expect from your next film?
At the moment I am working on a script which I'm really into it. generally, it walks in the same path as The Cookbook, but it's much darker and stronger. The problem is I can't make this one on my own. I have to fund some money for it.