Tuesday 19 June 2018

Interview with filmmaker Greg DeLiso


Hectic Knife will be screening at the Straight Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival
 *How did you get into making films? I saw Jurassic Park in the theatre when I was 6 and I immediately became a Spielberg-kid that was bitten by the bug.  From there it was just continuing to see more movies that I loved and seeing ones that made it seem more possible to do myself.  Indies like Clerks.

 *What inspired you to make your movie?
My friend and I were making each other laugh and making weird short films and we kind of just combined the two and that's how Hectic Knife evolved.  It almost wasn't a move.  But, a few months into shooting we realised that we had so much material and just kept adding to it, that we sort of realised we were making a movie and ten we went full force in that direction and it became a 5 year+ commitment. 

 *How has your style evolved?
Um, I'm not sure, I'd like to 

 *Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
That little kids head exploding was a huge learning experience.  I had the idea of; “killing kids in the movie!” (brilliant idea right?) But, it was an homage to Carpenter’s Assault on Precinct 13 (the killing a kid idea) and the head explosion is obviously Scanners. But, to do it, I thought we should have a fake head that looked like the kid and then explode that — not realising that we could just lock the camera down, shoot the kid standing there and then remove him from the frame and then explode a ball of anything in the heads place. So, we got a mold made of this poor kids head and it cost over a thousand bucks, which was like a tenth of our budget at that point, and the whole thing could’ve been way less complicated and cheaper had we not done all the extra work making the mold. And then of course when we finally shot the scene, I only realised in editing that all that extra work to do the mold didn’t matter.
 
*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
Google!  Haha, hold on!  I like movies like Field of Dreams and stuff. I also like anyone that tries to make a movie and love most anyone who finishes theirs. However you get to that finish line, from Dogme 95 to this stuff to 10 years of meticulous prep like Kubrick, to stop motion in your parents basement... I don't care just make your movie and make me laugh and cry when the curtain gets pulled.
I like Harmony's Letterman appearances and his script for Kids more than most of his movies. But he seems cool. Gummy is fun, I love the slap boxing scene and he seems like he'd be fun to hang out with. 
 
*What can we expect from your next film?
Bigger, badder, better...