Thursday 7 June 2018

Interview with filmmaker Dylan Levine


Dirt will be screening at the Straight Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival 

*How did you get into making films? - It's been a passion my whole life. Even as a small child, no movie was off-limits to me so by the time I was 6 or 7, I knew that I wanted to make films and here I am. 

*What inspired you to make your movie? - I wanted to make a horror film where the horror was just the back drop and where a relationship was in the foreground, and the horror would fuel the relationship, as opposed to the other way around that is most common. 

*How has your style evolved? - My style has stayed pretty similar since the beginning. It has just refined and become more accurate and effective. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? - One of the longest scenes to shoot was where the protagonist is masturbating in the woods and we just couldn't nail the timing so during shooting, I would have to talk him through it, while my crew and myself had to avoid laughing because of the unusual and funny situation. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? - It brings to mind the Dogma95 movement in Scandinavia that produced lots of strong films from some great filmmakers in the past 20 years, including one of my favourites, Susanne Bier. 

*What can we expect from your next film? - My next film will also feature a mix of English and another language, be shot in New York, and will have similar tone to Dirt but instead of being in the horror genre, it will be a mystery/thriller. And you can expect it to be even more exciting.