Tuesday 12 June 2018

Interview with filmmaker Fritz Aigner


The Morgenstern & Boyd Trilogy will be screening at the Straight Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
Since I was a child I love cinema. I love writing. So that's what I did, when I finished school: Writing and making movies. It's as simple as that. ;-)
 
*What inspired you to make your movie?
I'm sick and tired of mainstream movies, of their narrative structures. I want to break up these structures, destroy them, getting rid of them. Storytelling is not everything, but flowing and floating images are. This driving force is my first inspiration. The second one is my own life, my deep friendship to the great music and the musicians of "Spring and the Land" (www.springandtheland.com), Marino Acapulco and Jacques Bush, who co-directed and produced this film and also produced the mindblowing soundtrack. Then there is the heartbreaking love to the mother of my wonderful daughter. And the films of Alejandro Jodorowsky. And the baroque way of life. And all the poems, poetry and paintings we mashed up in the film.
 
*How has your style evolved?
I'm always trying to make my soul visible at the moment of shooting. First of all for myself. And my soul is evolving all the time. What was and what comes next? I don't know. It's hidden in my subconsciousness I think. Or maybe somewhere outta space or inna space... I don't wanna think while shooting or even editing a movie. I wanna feel.
 
*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
We wanted to shoot the scene of my imprisonment in a real prison. So we had to ask the Austrian ministry of law for shooting permission. They denied our aim with the words "what you want to do is too psychedelic.." At least we found a wonderful alternative in my grandfathers cowshed. When we shot on top of the Pyramid of the Sun in Bosnia-Herzegovina we all could feel a momentary lapse of reason.
 
*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
To me it shows one thing: "You are not alone!" ... They bring to mind that cinema has to make its way out of the jail, in which it imprisoned itself. It's keeping us stupid by manipulating our eyes, our brains, our souls and even our bodies. The only way to break out is cinematic anarchy.
 
*What can we expect from your next film?
I want to do a movie for kids. That's all I know so far. Everything is possible in a children's film. Every world. Every sight and sound. Looking through the eyes of a kid gives you a pure anarchistic view.