Tuesday 12 June 2018

Interview with filmmaker Darcy Prince


Trash will be screening at the Straight Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
I'm assuming like most, I started off as a fan. Close to six years ago, waking up one day, realising with no major responsibilities that I'm committed to, I blindly went out look at my local film classifieds, offering free labour to be on set. My first ever project was a runner for a feature film titled 'The Srying' (2013). Which production last for a month, overreaching full time business hours. And went from project to project as a runner, mostly shorts or videos for local bands. 
Building my network parallel to my production experience, noticing producing wasn't a position no-one wanted and seeing the gold in that role, I jumped on the producing team for film colleges
Over time. I stepped down from other projects and begun writing, directing, editing and distributing my own films ever since.

*What inspired you to make your movie?
Roger Corman, Harmony Korine and too much free time on my hands. I liked the idea of exploring weird things on film. whether it's mine or another. Knowing that time doesn't last forever, I reduced to making my own films to a minimum and wanted to learn how to make films without the traditional script, cast & crew.
Considering art and beauty lays in the beholder. I grabbed my camera and begun to film, since rubbish and bins have no say, I started to film them and 'Brad' (the actor) just had nothing to do and wanted to do something. 

*How has your style evolved?
I generally wait or look for an idea, but generally I have a image or a certain way that people move that I search for. A lot of it's improv as-well. Depending on the mood of the moment. 
A lot of it is in the search with the record button on. Everything in the film is just a derived thought or extension, idea. Sometimes a movie comes out of it. Or just one shot that holds some aesthetic appeal to it. I capture it. 
A little weird, random, thoughtful or a search. Just a creation without a budget. 
A lot comes from experience. But, style comes and it goes. Whether that is good or bad, I don't know until it's all over. Style changes with the artist. Don't ask who leads. 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
I told Brad (the actor) I had no script and he could do, act any character on film (you can even see this is in the film). He pointed and said 'wallaby, wow.' And he continued to act out his character. Holding the camera, just thought it was apart of his gig, until I caught a moment when I could turn around and saw it. 
I instantly filmed the wallaby. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
I always suspect that rules at their best, is something to work from. A formed pathway. In relation to any art, it can break people to move out of the normal and be themselves. 
I don't do anything to annoy or piss anyone off (well, not on purpose). 
It is a smile to see movements that are owning that part of film. To allow and to accept people that are just wanting to create something on themselves. 

*What can we expect from your next film?
More weirdness or something completely different. I don't know in short.