Sunday 10 June 2018

Interview with filmmaker Josh Berghoff


Kick Ass Cops will be screening at the Straight Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

How did you get into making films?
My friends and I con my parents into buying us a video camera that "we would pay them back". One of our first films was called "Running Ten". It was about a guy whose 10 dollar bill gets stolen. He chases the thief all around the neighbourhood. Lots of cussing in that one.

What inspired you to make the movie?
I like action. I like funny. I slapped the two together and came up with Kick Ass Cops. Oh, I might have a thing for the Lethal Weapon movies too.
How has your style evolved
I'll be honest, I never felt I had a "style", but people have told me you can tell when you see my work that it's one of my films.
Any strange or funny stories while making the film?
The guy who plays Ritter in the film made the bomb. One day on his drive home the police called him about an explosive device. Earlier that day the maintenance man went into his apartment to fix the air conditioning and saw the prop bomb on the table. He freaked out and called the police. They sent in the bomb squad to check it out. His girlfriend didn't know what was going on when they showed up and she got arrested, but in the end everything turned out ok. It was even on the news.
The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto?
I have no clue what you are talking about.
What can we expect from your next film?
I've made two short films since Kick Ass Cops. The first is a drama called "Stages" it's about a woman going through the stages of grief. A total 180 from Kick Ass Cops. My newest film is called "Awkward Party" about Walter, who is delighted to be invited to his first party in years, Walter soon discovers that Terry and his roommates are hiding a terrible secret that affects the entire night. It's a dark comedy that I'm still putting the finishing touches on. 
You can catch the trailer here.