Wednesday 6 June 2018

Interview with filmmaker Brian McLane



Selected for the 2018 Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival.

*How did you get into making films? It was really by accident. I’m a guitar player and a songwriter and I wanted to make sure I recorded all my music for my daughter but I didn’t want to do something lame like making a CD. I’ve written plays, and musicals, so when I heard that the iPhone was coming out with a 4K camera I thought to make a film.
*What inspired you to make your movie? My father died and my mother was grieving. So I tried to take her mind off things by filming some scenes. She wanted to kill some of the members of her bridge club, who were all a bunch of backstabbers. So we rented a place and staged some scenes. Her friends helped and it came out good. 
*How has your style evolved? This first movie was a learning experience but I’m a perfectionist. So we would do re-shoot after re-shoot until it came out right. Adjusting for things like light and continuity, making sure that there were no clearance issues or that people were dressed properly so as to not give us issues with color down the road. Mostly technical stuff really.
*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? Did you know that it’s a felony to cross the train tracks in America?
*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? Let’s just say my two favorite bands are The Sex Pistols and The Clash.
*What can we expect from your next film? I don’t know if we’ll be shooting it on an iPhone, but we’ll be using things like Jibs and Cranes, lots of accessories to give us some more wide ranging feel of shots. Not as many lockdown shots. I still can’t believe we got away with this and that it came out so good but the next one will just look a lot more professional, also I won’t be doing my own stunts. I’m getting up there.