Friday 8 June 2018

Interview with filmmaker Júlio Godinho



Youth Form - Sea Horse will be screening at Straight Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
I started at an early age to explore motion pictures with my Video8 camera, later on at Film School I made my first Short film, inspired by the work of Andy Kaufman. 

*What inspired you to make your movie?
Communication, (their voices) of outsiders and isolated people at small villages to the world threw film, was and is my goal. 

*How has your style evolved?
I started to be influenced by the American Brats, Coppola, Spielberg, and Palma, in the way to tell stories, creative stories threw film, than I discovered the work of Soviet filmmakers, of the beginning of Cinema history, such as Eisenstein, Dziga Vertov and Peleshian, but when every change in my work was when I had the first touch with Antonioni films, and the Direct Cinema Directors, such as Pennebaker, Wiseman.

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
"Ready on Stage" and "Café Americano" have some in common, the lead actor, sax player, died a couple of months after the film was made, and in "Café Americano" I shot maybe the last period of my Grandma in a Nursery home. 

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
The need to communicate, by stories of common people was always my goal, beyond the budget and equipment issue, "less is more".

*What can we expect from your next film?
Nowadays I'm working in a new project, a feature, about Spanish Bullfights, I will continue using common people, unknown people as actors, and to explore images in the way I feel about, in the moment, no scripts.