Friday 8 June 2018

Interview with filmmaker Jolanta Warpechowski

Frog, Thighs & Princes will be screening at Straight Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival
*How did you get into making films? I studied and theatre arts and graduated in 1996. After that I studied acting and directing and got the chance to work for a non-commercial TV-station in Vienna. 
*What inspired you to make your movie? I did not intend to make movies at all, I worked in the field of theatre and acting in style of Augusto Boal over a period of 9 years. After the death of Augusto Boal I got the job at the TV-station and there I had to find a way to turn my theatre work into movies.
*How has your style evolved? At the beginning I made short series (13,5 minutes long - TV-format, name: SOPOGRO which means social political grotesque). I was made in the style of filmed theatre.
*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? Most of the shoot happened at a remote location without internet and mobile connection. We slept under the free sky in sleeping bags and in old huts built for an outdoor museum in the reconstruction of a village in 300 b.C. During that time I studied archaeology since 2 years and during a workshop at this outdoor museum I got the idea to white the script for this movie.
*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? To be honest I didn't know about those until now but I think it is a good thing to promote and support underground cinema.
*What can we expect from your next film? We are shooting our next feature film this summer, the topics will be homosexuality and catholic fanatism in the country of Poland. We will accomplish this with Austrian, German, Columbian and Polish actors and crew members. The film language is German and Polish with English subtitles, we plan to release the film in 2019.