Tuesday 12 June 2018

Interview with filmmaker Sean Brown


Strictly Professional will be screening at the Straight Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
I was bored and wondered if I could make a festival worthy movie for $500. I got a used Sony mini DV for $50 on CL and made 3 features that have now played all over the place. I upped my game for SP tho and used a Cannon C100. But my budget was still only $750. Turns out I like making movies. My goal is to achieve the perfection of Female Trouble or NOTLD.

*What inspired you to make your movie?
Portland is a progressive town but there is a casual certainty that we have somehow transcended racism. That's only if you ask white people tho. What I present in SP is what I see and hear. The dinner party scene is my interpretation of the ham fisted diversity attempts PDX congratulates itself for.

*How has your style evolved?
I'm a little more confident. The choices I make now have a history of similar choices made on past projects and so are more thoughtful.

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
Without warning we just took the camera and Gloria into a local Walgreens and bought $165 worth of crab medicine. She's kind of shocking to see in the daylight and caused a little concern among the customers who kept their distance in the checkout line. Later when the manager asked why i was returning the medicine I just told him it turned out not to be crabs. He was suspicious but I got my $165 back.

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
Not to sound like Mariah Carey (lie, that's always a life goal) but "I don't know her"... I assume it's a sorta "fuck the machine" philosophy. If so, I agree. Just qwitcherbichin and make your movie.

*What can we expect from your next film?
More John Waters + George Romero + Andy Milligan