Tuesday 7 July 2020

Interview with filmmaker Hector M Aguilar

Some Be will premier at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
Since I was five years old I have been attracted to tell stories. Back then I was doing comics. At thirteen I took my mother's VHS camera and made movies with my friends in the summer. At the age of 17 Bad Taste, Fando and Lis and 8 1/2 confirmed to me that I wanted to dedicate my life.

*What inspired you to make your movie?
I love being behind the camera, telling stories. I am fascinated by the power that cinema gives you to create your own micro-universes within it. And the impact that cinema can have and how you can affect someone with a film.

*How has your style evolved?
For the past 10 years I have been making video clips for independent bands. That helped me to polish the technique and to define my style. I'm still searching.

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
Recording Some Be here in the city where I live, Cancun, it was a scene on a big avenue, with abandoned traffic and dead bodies on the pavement. We asked permission to close the avenue for a few hours and the traffic police supported us. We were starting to block the scene, when suddenly ambulances, Federal Police, the Army and the Navy arrived, as they had reports from citizens calling emergency numbers. They hadn't realized we were recording from a movie. In less than 15 minutes we already had the press and the media with a drone flying over the film set. This is understandable in a city where violence from drug cartels has increased in recent years. That day we gained 1000 followers on our fanpage.

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
I think that these types of movements are very necessary so that the world knows other voices and another way of doing things.

*What can we expect from your next film?
Well, currently we are about to start the development stage to raise my second film, a social story and also comes the second part of Some Be, which is being rewritten day by day with everything that is happening in the world with this pandemic that we live.